Sunday, March 20, 2011

Scandinavian wrist warmers with tin thread embroidery/Skandinavische Pulswärmer mit Zinnfadenstickerei

Another deep dive into my stash ... and what I found this time was some curly sheep fur, some tin thread, bone, metal and glass beads, and some small pieces of fulled cloth - very, very soft, probably with angora ...

I just couldn't resist sewing these small bits together to wear as wrist warmers!



I used another bit of sheep skin - also very soft and this time without curls - as an appliqué for the leaf, then couched the tin thread with a silver metal thread for the borders of the leaf.

Tin thread embroidery - which is a couching stitch - has a long tradition in Scandinavia, often used by the Sami people on reindeer skin. The 'naked' sheep skin I used here has the right 'look', I think.



The red borders, which I layered in between while sewing, are just waste cut-offs - but I found them being most decorative for this project!

The wrist warmers are not lined with the fur - I only had very narrow strips of it (waste material as well), which i sew under the edges to complete the Scandinavian touch!

(German summary: Noch ein paar Schätze aus meinem Fundus - diesmal entstanden ein paar Pulswärmer aus den Walkstoffresten, Pelzstreifen, Zinnfäden und Perlen!)

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just have one word: WOW!!!!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you so much for your sweet 'WOW', dear Elizabeth! You make me SMILE!

Johoanna Robson said...

These are very beautiful.

Sara lechner said...

If I wow you do I make you smile once more? keep smiling, they are wonderful!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you, Johoanna and Sara!

@Sara: Yes, of course you make me smile once more :-)))!

Zebra said...

Wow was also the first word, which came into my mind :-) I've really never seen something like this before, wonderful!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Danke schön auch für Dein liebes WOW, Zebra! Freut mich, daß sie guten Anklang finden!