Monday, January 26, 2009

This Bird of Paradise



I've been working on this bird of paradise lately - at first, not really planning a motif, just punching different red and pink fabrics and fibers onto a red woolen cloth, letting them blur into the background.

The left part was originally a blue-blackish fabric with a pink flower print, which I punched onto black wool and then added hand and machine embroidery to.

I sew and partially punched the fabric for the bird onto the background, forming the outlines while sewing it on, padding it here and there with some wool fibers.

Finally, I added a hanging which I made out of some black metal wire and I noticed how different a picture looks with some sort of hanging - I'll show you "My Grandmother's Garden" again, this time with the birch branch added:




For this purpose, I ironed on a suitable stabilizer as a lining for the back - it makes it hang smoother.

4 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

I love this twinkly bird in a pinky paradise - colours I wouldn't have thought of.

Paula Hewitt said...

i love how you made the branch into a hanger. gfirst day back at school today - so i am busy - i will email you soon.

Micki said...

I love your little hangings. What size are they?

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you so much - yes, the colours are unusual for me as well - but I wanted to try out what a dark paradise could look like ...

To Micki: The size of the paradise is 12,5x10,5" (32x27 cm) and the garden is 8,5x10" (22x26 cm) - there is an earlier posting about that one this month with more details, if you like to read it.